Wednesday, September 26, 2007

HOLIDAY MINI THANKFUL GARLAND

The minute I saw the THANKFUL GARLAND in the 2007 Holiday Mini Catalog, I knew I HAD to duplicate it! With some helpful advice from Jan Tink (see her garland HERE), and a few changes to accomodate my available supplies ... ta da !!! Jan created a gorgeous "NOEL" garland from the same On Board Garland Greetings. I've got big plans to case that one too! The catalog even makes suggestions for "JOY" and "JOYFUL" garlands. HERE is a "JOY" garland on Fran Sabad's blog, using embossing powders and glitter. The possibilities with the On Board Garland Greetings chipboard assortment are endless!

I had high hopes of offering this project as a class, but after the amount of time I spent completing mine, that idea was immediately scratched! I love the end result, and know I will enjoy displaying the garland in my home during the Thanksgiving holidays for years to come!

Differences between my garland and the catalog's version:

a) I used Wild Wasabi Double Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon to hang my letters, versus the catalog's Jersey Ribbon Originals,

b) the brads on the letter "H" in the catalog look colored (but not sure) ... I used Antique Brass Brads,

c) the catalog's version used All In a Row stamp set on the Close To Cocoa panel of the letter "U" ... I chose Antique Brass Brads. (does anyone else out there have "All In A Row Phobia"? ... I get so frustrated stamping that set straight, and have not mastered the stamp-a-ma-jig ... but will someday!),

d) there are some words on the leaf chipboard located on the letter "L"of the catalog's version.... my chipboard leaf is slightly different, and chose not to include the words.

If you would like to complete this project, your KEY TOOL is an exacto knife! Notice that all the the letters except the "A" and the "U" use the NEGATIVE to the letter. In order to cover them with designer paper, place the right side of the negative chipboard piece to the wrong side of the DP, trace with a pencil, and use an exacto knife to cut it out. Your cutting doesn't have to be perfect because you will use the sanding block to rough up the edges for a distressed look. I did buy a fine sanding sponge at the craft store that I was able to cut into small sections in order to sand the hard-to-reach areas. The cutting and sanding is what took the majority of the time in creating the garland ... the embellishments are fairly simple.


RECIPE

Stamps: True Friend (pg. 18 '07 Holiday Mini)

Paper: Apple Cider DP (pg. 19 '07 Holiday Mini), Really Rust, Very Vanilla, River Rock and Close to Cocoa CS

Ink: Really Rust

Embellishments: On Board Garland Greetings (pg. 9 '07 Holiday Mini), Wild Wasabi Double Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon, River Rock Double Stitched Grosgrain Ribbon, Really Rust Buttons, Antique Brass Brads, Natural Hemp Twine

Tools: Exacto Knife, Crop-A-Dile

Supplies: 2-Way Glue Pen, Sanding Block, Fine Sponge Sandpaper (non-SU)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how big/long this is but I think it would look great framed and mounted on a wall; if there is a fram big enough. I love it. Looks great.

Anonymous said...

That is soooo cute. I love fall and you did a perfect job. I would like to try something like that too. With your permission.

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful! You did a great job! Don't you just love that paper? Never thought of framing it - but I agree! That would be awesome!

Alhambra Club said...

How great, the colors and patterns are just awesome together, wonderful.

Dawn Easton said...

Oh my!!! You did awesome! This is a project that my HUSBAND wanted to do and in OUR last SU! order he ordered the Onboard Chipboard and the Apple Cider DP...I MUST show him yours when he gets home. It'll kick start him! Awesome awesome job! This will be a great item to use for years and years! So beautiful...I'm in awe!

Unknown said...

Nancy, this is gorgeous and I can only imagine how much work it must have been. This will be a holiday decoration that you'll cherish for years to come! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Garland!! And I want Dawn's husband cloned for all of us! LOL So nice to hear a hubby is involved with stamping and decorating! Too cool :)

corinnesomerville said...

I swear all do is enable each other !!! Now I have to this chipboard !!!!! I absolutely love this..you did a fabulous job :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job Nancy!

It'll look smashing in your house! (there are some cheap airfares I was looking online for you today:)

Michele Force said...

I just love it, Nancy!! If I had some spare time (ha!) maybe I could give it a go!

By the way... you've been tagged. Check out my blog for details.

Jenn in GA said...

the colors used in this are from the apple cider dp, right? that's growing on me, and i'm thinkin' that you could have a nice side business if you'd make those and sell them! I want one, but i don't want to invest the time...beautiful work, Nancy. hey, thanks for the bday greetings too!

Anonymous said...

How very Fall of you! Just fabulous!
I love that used the negative piece of the chipboard. Wonderful job!
P.S. I also have the 'All in a Row Phobia';)!!! I glad to hear someone else is in the same boat as I.

Anonymous said...

This garland is just beautiful Nancy! You did a great job on such a big project! I wish I could get myself to do one of these. ;)

kathleenh said...

Your garland is beautiful Nancy! I know what you mean about having plans to offer a class and then the project ends up being too much work. Happens to me all of the time.

Stamp With Linz said...

WOW, hun! That took some time! That's amazing! I just love it!

Dottie K. said...

Wow this is beautiful. Love the colors. Looks like alot of work you put into this project. Still no computer - my brother just lent me his laptop. So of course I had to check in. Have a great day.

Heather P. said...

Oh wow, this is gorgeous!!