Monday, January 14, 2008

HAPPY HEART DAY VALENTINE

I did one more challenge card last night before I hit it hard preparing my class projects. This Valentine's card combines TWO challenges:

* Jen Del Muro's SKETCH FOR YOU TO TRY on her blog, iheart2stamp, and

* Chat Wszelaki's A CHALLENGE JUST FOR YOU #001 on her blog, Me, My Stamps, And I. Chat is also known as nitestamper on SCS.

Here are the guidelines for Chat's challenge:

Stamp: Use the Mouse from the Happy Heart Day Set.
Paper: Basic Black, Bashful Blue, Real Red, Whisper White
Embellishments: Black, Red Embellishments only.
Please try not to substitute above. That is the whole objective of the challenge.
Ink: Your choice of colors
Background Stamp: Any
Sentiment: Any
Tools: Any
Designer Paper: Optional

AND here is Jen's Sketch:


As you can see, I flipped the sketch. I learned long ago in scrapbooking that faces and heads in photographs should be pointed toward the center of the page, and I think that same rule applies to cardmaking. I think the mouse looks so much better facing the center of the card, versus the outside of the card (much more inviting!)... my only reason for flipping the sketch. So now you've learned something quirky about me today!

It's difficult to tell in the photograph, but the large background piece is the Bashful Blue Designer Paper with small white flowers from Cutie Pie. The Real Red CS piece was dry embossed with the Heart Blocks Cuttlebug Embossing Folder (non-SU).

RECIPE

Stamps: Happy Heart Day
Paper: Basic Black, Bashful Blue, Real Red, and Whisper White CS, Cutie Pie DP
Ink: Jet Black Staz-On, Basic Black Marker, Real Red, Bashful Blue, Sahara Sand
Embellishments: Black Brads, Real Red Brads, Red Gingham Ribbon
Tools: Aquapainter, Trio Flower Punch, Word Window Punch, 1/8" Handheld Circle Punch, Cuttlebug & Heart Block Embossing Folder (non-SU)
Supplies: Stampin' Dimensionals, Glue Dot
Notes: Card front measures 5 1/4" x 5 1/4".


32 comments:

Diane Gilbert said...

This is sooooo Cute! I agree, the mouse should face the center of the card. Great layout!

Now off to Chat's challenge!

Anonymous said...

OMGoodness!! This is so cute!!!

Kim said...

What a cute layout! TFS!

Jackie Pedro said...

Darling Darling Darling!!! I love this card, Nancy!!!

Dawn Easton said...

So cute Nancy! I didn't know Chat had something on her blog...I will have to check it out when I'm feeling better. Love what you did with this card...awesome girl!

Alhambra Club said...

This is lovely, the embossed heart backaground paper is great.

Anonymous said...

1. OMG!!!!nancy !!!!your card is drop jaw gorgeous !!!!and what a perfect layout!!!!I love the CB BG. fab work, girl!!!
thanks for playing !!!!
chat

Melissa said...

Fabulous!

Many Blessings,
M.

Jennifer Meyer said...

Cute card and layout design Nancy. LOVE the fun colors and the Cuttlebug background. Jennifer :)

fran said...

Love what you did with the sketch and challenge! Cute, cute, cute!

kathleenh said...

Nancy this is so cute! I love the cuttlebug hearts piece, the brads, the colors, and everything!

Deborah said...

How adorable you made this card/sketch! Thanks for the obvious tip, I didn't know that! Makes good sense! Deb

Unknown said...

Great job on the sketch Nancy, I love it! And I LOVED that tip, so smart.

Alex said...

OMG Nancy, how cute it that??!! And, I agree, the mouse should face the center. Oh, what an awesome card! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

JenMarie said...

OMGosh ~ sooo cute!!!

corinnesomerville said...

Oh Nancy !!! These is completely adorable !! LOVE IT !!

StampMom said...

Can a mouse be sleek & sexy? Cause that's what this card is. Love the black and all the juxtaposing angles. Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Great card Nancy! Love it!

Anonymous said...

He's a real cutie! I love the way the colors turned out for this challenge:)
Cyndi

Anonymous said...

Yet another super cute card, Nancy!!! Great position for your mouse...I always tend to flip mine too. I thought there was something wrong with my (elephant) case. ;) Way to go with the challenges!!!

michelle sturgeon said...

Oh, wow, this is awesome! Great sketch, beautiful card!

Michele Force said...

Striking, Nancy! I always "point" my images to the center too. No reason to lead people's eyes OFF the card, is there?!

Toni said...

Whoa! This card is way too cute!
Another awesome job! Thanks for the inspiration.

toni
I'll BE Stamped!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Gorgeous card, Nancy! So vibrant!

Lori Barnett said...

Great colors...great card.....great layout....but most of all....GREAT STAMPER :)

Becky Elfert said...

I love the embossing! What a great card. TFS

Doris said...

Thanks for the tip about facing the center. I think I've always done that by instinct, but now I know why! Love your use of the cuttlebug strip instead of the whole background.

Rose Ann said...

I love your mouse Valentine!! The colors and embossing are so nice!!!

LeAnne said...

Oh, what a sweet card---love that cuttlebug background!

nancy said...

Wonderful job on both challenges!!

Libby Hickson said...

Oh so cute! I love how you used the cuttlebugged hearts - I just bought that folder on sale, I'm going to have to case this... :-)

Kelli in Kentucky said...

great card!! I just love this set!!