Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday! We just returned from my sister-in-law, Norene's house (aka Martha Stewart ... lol !!!). She fed 32 of us with all the traditional Thanksgiving dishes. Norene is so talented when it comes to entertaining ... she is amazingly organized, has a beautiful home for a large crowd, and is an excellent cook! So much, in fact, she was on the local news last night! Channel 5 in Phoenix did a segment in Norene's kitchen about preparing the Thanksgiving meal. They couldn't have chosen a better person for the segment, that's for sure! Thank you, Norene ... you spoil us!
I received this tag from Wendy Bond, joelysmom on SCS. You're all going to think I'm the biggest Christmas Scrooge after you read my answers. Honestly, I used to LOVE and enjoy Christmas when the kids were younger. I just don't buy into the retail hype of the holiday, especially when there are so many expenses to raising teenagers. I get completely stressed out this time of year with so much to do, and have to ask myself "why am I doing this?". We will definitely be simplifying our Christmas this year.
Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends. Here's what you're supposed to do, and try not to be a SCROOGE!!! Change all the answers so that they apply to you.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping Paper, for sure! It's so much more fun to unwrap a gift by tearing the paper!
2. Real tree or artificial? Artificial. Have you ever heard them say, "Phoenix is a DRY heat"?
3. When do you put up the tree? When I feel like it! Probably within the next couple of weeks.
4. When do you take the tree down? The day after Christmas.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My parents gave me my own phone and phone line, a big deal back in the late 70's, early 80's! My Dad got tired of the home line being unavailable to him!
7. Do you have a Nativity scene? Yes
8. Hardest person to buy for? My Dad
9. Easiest person to buy for? Allie and my Mom
10. Worst Christmas Gift you ever received? A back massager from DH ... since then, I've received USEFUL gifts from him!
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? Traditionally, hand stamped Christmas cards with family photo and letter. This year, I may not get my personal Christmas cards done as I'm swamped with making cards for clients.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Grinch (how appropriate, huh?!)
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Unlike Dottie K who is completely DONE with her Christmas shopping and Wendy who is ALMOST DONE, I may start mine the second week of December.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My favorites are the holiday appetizers like cheese balls, crackers, hors de oeuvres, etc.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Clear.
17. Favorite Christmas song? White Christmas, Jingle Bells, ... enjoy all of them!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen...and Rudolph of course. What she said!!!!
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Angel
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? We open gifts from family on Christmas Eve, and gifts from Santa on Christmas morning. Even though my kids have outgrown Santa, we still "play" the Santa game. My dear neighbors, Jeff and Noreen lend me their garage door opener during the month of December, and let me hide the kids' presents in there until they go to bed on Christmas Eve. The kids know where I hide their gifts but have never spoiled their surprise!
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Ummm ... where do I begin?!
Additional note: my all-time favorite thing about Christmas is the Christmas cards, photos and letters I receive from family and friends in the mail. Going to the mailbox is the highlight of every day in December!
MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL!! Feel free to consider yourself tagged!