Tuesday, July 10, 2007

QUILT CARD TUTORIAL

This is the card I posted yesterday for the SCS Technique Lovers Challenge 124. See yesterday's post for supplies used to make this card. At the end of this post is another sample of a quilt card that I made a few months ago. For the purpose of this tutorial, I'll be using the measurements for this card photographed at the left.

cdjkssss on SCS had informed me of an easier way to do this with a Xyron machine. I don't own one of those fancy machines, so this is the primitive way!

Paper You'll Need:

* Black CS (ANY color will do, as this is your base piece and will be covered) measuring 4 1/4 x 4 1/4.

* White CS, 1 1/4" square.

* 7 different designs of DP, four strips each measuring 3/8" inch wide x 3" long or longer.

I mistakenly laid out only six different DP strips instead of 7 for this photo ... sorry!

Find the center of your Black 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 CS at 2 1/8". Draw a pencil line down the center of the Black CS in both directions.



These pencil lines will guarantee perfect centering for your White CS square. Adhere White square to the black square by lining up the points of the white square with your pencil lines.




Cover the entire black square that is still showing with adhesive. I used your basic Scotch double-stip tape (my favorite!).



Align your first strip parallel with the white square. You will have the overhang.





Adhere your second strip (same pattern as your first strip) parallel with the white square and butted up to the first strip.






Continue to adhere your second and third strip in the same manner as above.







Your second pattern selection of DP is simply adhered parallel with the first pattern, working around the white square.








... Then your third pattern selection of DP...









This photo shows what your quilt square should look like after all seven layers are adhered.











This is what the BACK of your black square should look like.











Next, trim off the excess strips of paper with a paper trimmer.












This is what your finished quilt should look like.




The possibilities are endless! .... different sizes, different DP .... Have fun!







This is another quilt card I did a few months ago, using Loves Me DP.



24 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are beautiful and thanks much for the tutorial!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

That is just beautiful! I may have to try this! I know a lot of people who are quilters and they would LOVE a card like this! Great tutorial!

Allison Rankin said...

I'm loving this...off with the boy now to try it (my 4 year old insists on helping me!).

Pattyjo said...

Beautiful, beautiful job! You are so talented!

Allison Rankin said...

I made one! Thanks for the great instructions!

http://stampinwhenican.blogspot.com/2007/07/quilt-card.html

Ticia said...

Awesome! I can't wait to try it!!!

Rose Ann said...

Fabulous tutorial! I need to try one of these sometime. Thanks so much!

Jacqueline said...

WOW this is beautiful!! I LOVE this sort of thing and am definately going to give it a try - thanks for the tutorial!

Heather said...

Great tutorial! The instructions are easy to follow and your samples are great!

Jana Weaver said...

thanks so much for this awesome tutorial!! I just made a card and will have it on my blog soon!!

-Jana
http://stampwithjana.blogspot.com

Shanismom said...

a beautiful card. thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I just had to give this a try. I just love your tutorial!

Anonymous said...

WOW, can't even remember now what made me stumble by your blog, but I am glad I did!! I am off to make up a few now.

They are gorgeous!!

Caroline

Anonymous said...

Hey there Nancy!! I just made one!! Pretty much cased your Loves Me DP one, but it turned out great!! Here's a link.

http://cardscreatedbycaroline.blogspot.com/2009/04/quilt-card.html

Thanks for sharing. Will have a good browse through your blog when I have a bit more time!!

Cheers

Caroline
xx

Dalek said...

Thank YOu for posting the Tut., and links from SCS. I'm off to make one; I have a thing for quilt cards! And as I never throw out usable pieces, I have lots of narrow strips kept in a long box, so they will work fine.

Carol Mac said...

This is a beautiful card, my first try turned out great! But, wondering what size the other layers are...this looks like a big card. Thanks.

L3stampin said...

This is such a great tutorial! I posted my card on my blog and referenced your tutorial. I'm new at blogging so hope that is okay! Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Well, here it is May 4, 2011 and I'm loving your 2007 blog and instructions for the quilt card. I can't wait to get home from work to try it! Thanks for the instructions!!!

Delaware Pam said...

I made my first one of these cards yesterday using your wonderful tutorial. My corner pieces were awfully tiny so I may cut my square a bit bigger. I had to make an envelope to mail it but it turned out nicely and I hope my cousin will like it. She is so appreciative of my cards, so I'm sure it will be a hit. Thanks for the tutorial.

Angela said...

Nancy, you are so sweet to share your technique with everyone. I have made five of these cards and love the fact that you use double sided tape! Thank you again.

Rosy Newlun said...

So glad you have your tutorial still up! I saw Joan's card at StampTV and she had your link up. Whew -- total gloriousness! Thanks so much for sharing!

T.Leigh said...

Hi there! I'know this is an older post, but I wanted to thank you for the excellent tutorial! I really appreciate how detailed the steps are, so that even someone as "not so artfully inclined" as myself can complete the card!

Rachel B. said...

What are the dimensions of the back square, inside square and strip widths for the one you did with the Loves Me set?
(It's smaller isn't it)

Jacqueline said...

2/23/2021. Just found this. It is wonderful. Your instructions are very clear. Thank you so very much. Jacque. Pine River, MN